Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Go To Quilting Ideas

I've had one of those slightly frustrating mornings. I thought I had a clear idea of the way I wanted to quilt a quilt, but this did not go to plan. My straight lines weren't straight. So I unpicked. I thought I would try some free motions quilting, but that did not look right. That was unpicked. So third time lucky with simple swirly loops. If I'm unsure about what to do with a quilt this is my go to way of quilting. It seems to look good on most quilts. 
It was the perfect way to quilt  my Butterflies book from Strip Savvy as it echoed how butterflies move. I was so excited this week to see Gail Pan's version of this quilt using her new fabric design.
 My other go to way of quilting is the slightly wonky straight line.
I used this a couple of times in my book. It was perfect for my Scrappy Crosses.
I also used it to quilt Reflections. I think this is the biggest quilt in my book and I quilt everything on my Bernina 440 which isn't huge, so straight lines is a good way to quilt as you can roll in the sides and do a line at a time.

 It was so nice outside taking photos this morning - there is sun in my favourite corner of the verandah and it feels and smells a little like Spring. I love this time of the year!

Monday, September 15, 2014

Geranium Dress

A Geranium Dress for Spring out of some Briar Rose by Heather Ross. Great pattern, the size 2 fits Olive perfectly, the only change was making it a little shorter.

Sunday, September 14, 2014

The Dishy Bag

After seven weeks on crutches with a toddler in the house I am pretty skilled at dodging the duplo that is everywhere, but there have been a couple of incidents so when I saw this new patternThe Dishy Bag, the other day I bought it immediately.
I used some Heather Bailey fabric for the inside that I found on special at Textile Traders recently (I love those 1.5m precuts they have for $7.50). I used some very heavy denim from the stash for the outside and edging. This denim is so super heavy that I've never found a good use for it. It is great for the outside, but I think I should have used something a lot lighter for the edging as it is really difficult to pull the rope through.
 I used grommets and rope I found at Bunnings.
 The instructions only give the measurements for a 70cm wide mat, but there are instructions for how to make them any width you want. I made mine 110cm wide - the width of the fabric I had.
 Olive seems pretty happy with it and immediately sat in the middle of it to play.
 You can see how the denim is really hard to pull into a bag shape, but it is doing the job here, we just pull it up as much as we can and drag it into the corner. I'll probably use quilting cotton for the edges when I make one for the lego.

Friday, September 12, 2014

Quilt Now Issue 2

Some excellent mail arrived yesterday - Quilt Now Issue 2. 

 And look what is inside! Something completely different for me. A quilt made entirely of solids. I used Moda Bella Solids (Platinum, Bright Turquoise, Kiwi, nautical Blue and White) which were a dream to sew with. There is also an insane amount of quilting on it, which is also something different for me. Each of the four colour sections is bubble quilted in a matching colour. It was nice to be out of my comfort zone and trying something new. I can see more quilts using solids in my future.
Katy has done an amazing job with Quilt Now, if you haven't seen a copy I highly recommend checking it out. It's a great mix of patterns, information and inspiration!

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Blocks from A Paper Pieced Garden

I have been thinking about trying some blocks from A Paper Pieced Garden since I reviewed it last month.
So far I have made three. They were fun to make and it was so good to be back at the machine. I think I'll make at least one more and turn it into a mini quilt for my quilt wall.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

A Couple of Pairs of Socks

I am off the crutches and hobbling around the house. I never thought that being able to hobble would make me this happy! I've managed a little sewing at the machine, but I'm trying not to over do it so there is still time for a little knitting.
I actually finished these last year, but have never taken pictures or shared them. I didn't use a pattern I made it up as I went incorporating all my favourite parts of sock knitting. There is a little lace at the top, lots of stocking stitch and some lace across the foot which is visible when I wear them with Mary Janes and a star toe. I knit them in Socks That Rock Lightweight which I knit a pair out of a few years ago and they have worn extremely well considering they are 100% wool.

I really enjoyed knitting them so I knit some more in Madelinetosh Sock. I didn't get far and then summer came so I managed to finish them off last month.

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Mittens and a Winner!

Bronwyn you are the winner of the calendar! Please email me your address so I can get it to you.

The three big girls have been amazing the last 6 weeks. They have helped cook, clean and look after me and their little sister. They all came in asking for fingerless gloves last week and I knew it would be a great thank you present (to go with the extra pocket money and iTunes downloads I have bribed them with).
I showed them the Abra Alba pattern and the gloves I made for myself last year which they loved. So they all searched through my scraps of wool and chose colours.
These are a great pattern, perfect for a first glove pattern and you can easily get a glove done in a night. More details on Ravelry.