Thursday, November 18, 2010

Sourdough Bread

I proudly present my first loaf of sourdough bread. It has been a few weeks in the making. I started a starter nearly 2 weeks ago using this recipe and information. Very simple to understand and to do. I tried to make a loaf the other day, but the starter wasn't ready and didn't rise. So I waited a few more days and kept feeding it and this one worked quite well.
Now I need to work on my bread baking technique. This was quite edible, but the crust we too hard and thick for me. I want something that won't make my gums bleed.
Load number 2 is rising and I am going to try some of the suggestions here to get a better crust.

8 comments:

Suzy said...

It looks great. I'm very impressed you got the starter going... I tried in Tokyo and it kept either going mouldy or exploding, so I was put off. I should give it another try, we love sourdough and they charge $6+/loaf for it here.

Naturally Carol said...

What do you think about using bread improver? Is that chemically based or natural? I know that when my son was at TAFE doing cheffy stuff that he made bread rolls using it and they were soft and delicious and didn't have that homemade coarse texture to them.

Anonymous said...

I love sourdough and my mum bought an awesome book a while ago all about sourdough! But I am too scare to try it myself lol I get confused just reading about it :)

vervlogen dagen said...

This reminds me of my childhood, when my mother gave me sourdough in my lunchbox. It was already stale (is that the word for old bread?) when I left the house, but I can't remember bleeding gums, so there must have been something good about it.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Homemade bread is so yummy. I want to get back to making my own again. It's been many year! I've never tried sourdough.

Barbara C. said...

It looks wonderful. I tried it a coupld of times-got the taste-but not the rise. Fortunately I live in an area where sour dough french bread is plentiful!

Louise said...

wow - clever girl! that looks delicious.

Chookyblue...... said...

looks good from here......