Saturday, October 22, 2011

Quilts, Dresses and Roses

More shoo fly blocks - I can see the end in sight.

When I bought these fabrics there were a few I loved, some were ok and a few I didn't love at all, but I liked how they all looked together. As I have sew them my mind has definitely changed about a few and now it is hard to pick out favourites.


Although I do love these two a lot at the moment.




As I have sewn this week I have thought about making some more fitting dresses. I think the Denyse Schmidt fabrics I have been using for the quilt would be perfect in summer dresses especially Simplicity 2403 (below) and the Colette dresses such as Parfait and Macaron. I have been hesitating about trying these for fear of wasting fabric and wasting time making something completely unwearable, but after making a few muslins last week my new resolution is to not hesitate and just it a go. Muslins do not take a lot of time and once you make one you can make a dress knowing it will actually fit. And if it all does go wrong, then it is only fabric you can cut up for kids or dolls clothes.

If you have ever wondered about pruning your roses with a chainsaw - don't hesitate. Mine are looking better than ever at the moment.



7 comments:

Kari @ The Purple Quiltapotamus said...

I love your blocks, the colors look great together.

Nicky said...

Great blocks and when I made drembehsses I never made a muslin but then they didn't always fit so well - good lesson

Naturally Carol said...

I've never thought about putting a chainsaw to the roses..but that jugful is a sight to behold..so it can't be half bad!

TIFFANY PITT said...

Beautiful roses!!

Craft to Do said...

Kate I make alot of costumes for an re enacting group. When making patterns I use cheap calico to make mock ups of out fits. The hardest thing is to fit yourself. Do you have a dress makers Doll? I couldn't live without Daisy....he he.
Do your roses smell sweet? Sandra

Lisa said...

Gorgeous roses. I haven't tried any of the Colette patterns but have been following her blog for awhile and have admired them and her attention to detail in her work.

Chookyblue...... said...

lovely blocks..........I have a friend who prunes her roses with a chain saw........she's done it for years.........