Wednesday, April 17, 2013

One Metre of Mushroom Fabric

 I'll admit that the price of the good European jersey knits has put me off buying them in the past. It seemed a little much to make everyday clothes for the girls. So when I saw this mushroom fabric was on sale at Crafty Mamas Fabrics I thought I would buy it for a birthday dress. After making the dress I realized that there was quite a bit left from the one metre I bought. I thought I would try and use as much of it as I could. The girls really need some basic t-shirts for winter so I used the Tee for Two pattern from Figgy's. I can't seem to find it on their site. It might be out of print which is a shame as it is a really great basic. I'm glad I bought it in both sizes when I did.

 I managed to cut the front and back and the neck band in the 12 month size for Olive. It is a little big now, but will be great later in winter.
I managed to cut out the same in a size 8 and there was a little left to cut some extra sleeve bands and a neckband. I used some left over stripes I had and some red cotton/elastane jersey from Spotlight for the rest of the tops. I shortened the sleeves a little and added bands like the Skater Dress.
Of course my girls wanted their tops to be same same, but different. So they were very happy with these. They were in a funny, crazy mood this afternoon and these were the best pictures I took.
I never think of my girls looking the same, but I could really see it in this picture.
All that remains is a little pile of scraps. One metre of jersey goes a long way and it is great quality. I'm so impressed there may be a little more on its way to me.


11 comments:

eva said...

the girls are usually in a funky mood aren't they??? they're sweet. the difference i notice in the twins is that one is more shy than the other (which means the other is a bit more crazy???) hahahha meant in a good way!!

"same same but different" explains them well actually!

you are so talented...
love it.
xo
the other eva....

eva said...

i forgot to add....it's going to be sad when their perfect little teeth start changing!!
xo
e.

Chrissy in Chaos said...

I adore the fabric!! I am in the uk and can't find designs that lovely!!

Christine said...

Adorable! I really want to try to learn to sew knits.

Marina said...

Great tops. I'm also put off a bit by the price of the nicer knit fabrics! It's good you got value out of that one....

Sue said...

Oh yes they do look so much alike in that picture. I love all of the t-shirts that you made. It did seem to go a long way and what cute fabric too.

bec said...

Perfect! Sooo want to see a pic of the 4 of them in their mushie clothes!- they'll tease you in years to come haha. But so resourceful! I also dont think they look the same, most photos I can see a difference (never know who is who though!) but that pic is spooky! 'same same but different' haha

Crafty Mama said...

Wow these are fantastic!

Yes, you can really stretch your fabric dollar by mixing and matching. Keep those scraps too, for applique, patches etc :)

Lisa

Brenda said...

The girls look so pretty in their new tops!

Rosie said...

Another idea for scraps, undies. That darn Kat pattern is perfect for using scraps.

Donna Heart said...

Hi Kate! You know I was just looking back to my very first post in June 07 and you commented on it - my first :) So just thought I'd check back in - can't believe I've been at it for nearly 6 years! I do stop by occasionally, but usually on a time limit so don't comment - but trying to do more if again! So - I'll call in again soon x Donna