Friday, July 12, 2013

Corduroy and Simplicity 1717

Amelia and Grace have both been wanted to use the sewing machine and make something over the holidays. I thought the skirt from Ottobre 4/2006 would be a good place to start. They did the straight sewing and some overlocking and I did the elastic. We used corduroy for both, some from the stash and some of the new Prints Charming from Spotlight. There is nothing better than corduroy for winter skirts. It is easy to sew and it washed well. I always try to grab some when I see it in a good print.

 I couldn't resist getting some of the red Prints Charming corduroy for myself.
 
I used Simplicity 1717 which I think could become a favourite. I know I have said this about other patterns, but this is really comfortable, not too straight, not too A-line, and I think it could easily be changed by adding piping or different pockets. I just used the pieces for the average shape which fitted perfectly. I had a quick flick through the intructions but couldn't see any information on how to choose which shape you should use. Other then that the instructions were good and if it is your first time sewing a skirt it does give you more fitting tips than other patterns.


6 comments:

bec said...

Well done girls! I love that striped cardi, Sib has it too! I', waiting for a special on the Prints Charming cord, I think I need another Tova dress! I love the red

bec said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kinkatink said...

That cord print is awesome! Great skirts. I love corduroy for winter too.

Deb said...

Go girls! And OMG I love that prints charming cord! I see a trip to spotlight coming soon.

Annie said...

LOVE the cord and the girls and the skirts are fab...I want to make one!!!

Bruise Mouse said...

You are all certainly the best dressed chicks in the southwest!