Sunday, December 13, 2015

Butterick 5211

After checking my wardrobe and deciding I needed something new for a Christmas party last night I searched through my patterns and found Butterick 5211. A fast and easy 1 hour pattern sounded perfect. And it would have been if I hadn't decided to use this shift as shit rayon with the pattern printed so far off grain its ridiculous. It took me way over an hour just to cut it out. I nearly gave up at this stage as the pieces are all cutaway off grain so the pattern is straight. 
I am glad I persevered, it does fall a little bit funny but it is hard to tell when you put the belt on. There is a lot of ease in this pattern. I didn't bother with an fba and cut my normal size, but took it in to a size smaller after the first fitting. 
Tessuti has a great tutorial to make the thread button loop, it was a lot quicker and easier than I thought it would be.
I'll definitely be making a few more of these this summer, maybe a plain black next time so I can get it make in an hour.

2 comments:

BarbaraShowell said...

I can understand why you were drawn to the print, the dress looks very nice. Reminds me of one of my Mom's Sunday church dresses that I loved in the early 70's. I am sad it's off grain because if it's as bad as you may feel it twisty on the body and then not love wearing it, and it is pretty. Props to you for persevering.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Well only you would know the issues because it looks really terrific on you. In that dress you would have been the belle of the holiday ball!