Monday, May 02, 2016

Fen Dress

I didn't take much notice of the Fen Pattern by Fancy Tiger Crafts when it cam out, I wasn't convinced that a dress with a gathered skirt could look any good without a zip, but I suddenly decided I had to try it last week and I was pleasantly surprised. I think it was the pockets that pushed me to try it, I do love pockets in a dress. I think I have made the perfect winter tunic to go with boots and a cardi.
I was in between sizes and decided to size down which I am glad I did, it is a perfect fit. I used cotton poplin from Spotlight (I can't go past fabric that looks like a quilt block). I think it would also be great in a lawn, gauze, linen or rayon.

The sleeves were a little too big for me so after I made it I chopped them off, the pencil line below shows how much I took off. The only other alteration was to cut off 3 1/2" from the hem to make it tunic length.
I am so glad I decided to try this pattern. I'm wearing it today and am going to search the stash for fabric for another one. 

5 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

I saw this pattern on IG by happenstance. I love everything about it. My friend ordered it and bought some gorgeous print chambray to make it. She did the dress length. It's so flattering. Not sure I have the sewing skills to make one. I love the print you used and it's so flattering as a tunic and the way you've styled it. :o)

Heather said...

I felt the same way about Fen. I thought it was cute, but no for me. But now I've seen so many cute versions (including yours) that maybe it's time to try it. I think it looks really great on you and I bet it's comfy too!

Kate said...

Very very comfy!

Zena said...

I was going to wait to make the Fen in Spring when it is warmer but after seeing you I am inspired to give it a go now. I can just wear long sleeve top under it, stockings and a jacket. The fabric is fantastic.

Paige said...

Considering this pattern, thanks for the review! Yours looks great on you!